On Friday, Mateo asked me to help him film a video for a song he covered.

The song “Nascent” was released by the band Forevermore early that morning.

He wanted to do a simple cover, but I knew that with a few hours, I could do a lot better than that.

We set up the area and started to shoot.

I didn’t want to get too fancy with the angles. That’s something I learned when making Josiah’s “Shadows” cover.

In that video, the angles were all wrong because the eye kept jumping from place to place, so it was very confusing to watch.

So this time, I knew I wanted it to be different.

But I also wanted it to be interesting. I didn’t want it to just cut between two static shots. So I set up a few and just let Mateo play the 30 second intro, over and over again.

The Editing Process

Before I touched the clips, I watched them over with Mateo. I wanted to make sure that he was satisfied with the clips so that I wouldn’t waste any time. He liked them and gave me the green light to continue.

I told him that I would give him three edits of the video, and he’d be able to choose which one he wanted.

These edits would vary from more artistic to simple. I wanted to give him a choice because it’s really his video, even though I’m the one stitching it together.

I started in on the first edit, and I noticed that some things just weren’t flowing smoothly. The pacing was off and the cuts didn’t really come in the right places. So I went back and added a couple of flashes to black, right when the song comes in heavy, just to break it up a bit.

The first thing that I finished was the last ten seconds. I don’t know why I can always see the ending sooner than I see the beginning.

For the second edit, I decided to take a simpler approach. I didn’t want to cut between too many clips, so I settled on four different angles. I made all of my cuts in time with the music, which made it feel very coherent.

When it was time to work on the third edit, I was stumped. I had given all of my energy to the other two, so the third one was struggling. I decided to scrap the final edit and set about rendering the first two edits.

What Would I Do Differently

If I could go back, I would ask Mateo to add a few seconds of silence to the beginning of the clip, maybe even a count so that I can sync the clips better. In fact, I spent almost half of my time just syncing the clips. That time could’ve been better spent refining the edits.

That’s something that I knew I should’ve done, but I was distracted and didn’t follow through.

I also would’ve started and ended with the same shot, to lend to the feeling of continuity. That works well for endlessly looping vids on apps like Instagram.

Lastly, I would have rendered the file in the appropriate file type so Mateo canĀ email it to himself and post it on Instagram.

Final Thoughts

The entire project took around 3 and a half hours to complete, although I didn’t work on it for three hours straight. We went to the store about halfway through, which is great when working on creative projects. Giving yourself time away from a project, however short that time may be, does wonders for your perspective on the project.

You can check out the video here: